The ‘Reel’ is the latest feature from Facebook for it’s Instagram App. It allows users (creators) to showcase something that’s entertaining in 15-second videos. You can add songs, filters, effects, and more to your Reel videos to make them attract the audience. Sounds familiar, isn’t it!
On July 8th, 2020, the social media giant Facebook announced plans to release ‘Reels‘ on it’s Instagram App. It was about a new video feature that will let users create interactive short-clips set to music. The app’s functionality sounds a lot like TikTok, which is wildly popular among smartphone-addict teens and young adults.
The Reels app is currently testing in France, Germany, Brazil, and India but will hit smartphones in the US in early August, Facebook said.
The Reels section is home to tons of video editing features. It connects to Instagram, allowing users to share the finished product with their Stories. If your Instagram account is public, the video can appear on the app’s Explore section. Users will also be able to post edited Reels on their profiles.
How To Create Instagram Reels
- First, check if you have received the update. Head over to Google Play Store and App store to confirm if a new update is available. If yes, connect the phone to WiFi and install the update.
- After successfully updating the app, open the Instagram camera.
- Go to the Instagram camera and select Reels at the bottom. Available, right next to Boomerang, Superzoom, hands-free, and layout.
- Click on Reels and select audio from the Instagram Music library. (Facebook has partnered with prominent music labels to provide a vast collection of songs so you can create entertaining Reels)
- Similar to TikTok, Reels also come with an option to record original voice besides lipsyncing.
- Reels also lets you add AR effects and provide options like Timer.
- Reels also allows you to re-record a video and even delete it if needed.
- You will also get an option to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio.
- After creating the Reel, you can choose to share it with either your followers or everyone on Instagram. Reels can be shared to Feed as well as Explore so everyone on Instagram can view it.
How To Watch Instagram Reel Videos
Explore The Content
Open your Instagram profile and tap the magnifying glass. Instagram Reels are trending, which is why you are most likely to come across one right at the top of the screen. Tap on that Reel and swipe down to watch more. The Explore section of Instagram has content from public accounts, shown to you based on your likes, dislikes, preferences, etc.
Browse The Content
Browse your Feed to locate the Reels icon. Once you are into the Reels and completed watching the video, remember to wipe down to ‘watch more’; Otherwise, that particular video will keep playing in a loop. This method is more convenient for those who follow a private account.
How Will Reels Reach More Audience
With Reels, Instagram users can express themselves while entertaining others, whether by trying out a fun new dance or spreading the message on something they care about. People can record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with various creative tools on Reels. They can share them with their followers on Feed and, if they have a public account, they can make their reels available to a broad Instagram community through a new space in Explore.
Should TikTok Users Switch To Instagram For Reels?
While there are many Indian alternatives for TikTok like Mitron, Chingari, Roposo, Bolo Indya, etc. Instagram’s Reel has the upper hand, as it will be added as a feature, housed inside the app, eliminating any additional hassle.
Most TikTokers are already relying on Instagram to create content and to stay in touch with their fans. Now with Reels, they can explore and revert to their favorite-format without downloading another app and starting from scratch.
Some Additional Queries About Reels
Who can see Reels in Explore?
– Instagram points out, “As of now, people will only be able to see Reels in the countries where Reels is available. If you create and share a Reel to feed, people who follow you and live outside of those markets will still be able to see the Reel. They just won’t be able to create Reels of their own.”
Can you cross-post to Facebook and add links to Reels?
-You will not be able to share your Reels to Facebook, and users will not be able to add links to Reels.
What information can users see about the Reels posted, and can Reels be advertised at the moment?
– Users will be able to see how many views and comment your Reel receives. No, Reels cannot be promoted at this moment. This means it is a level-ground for creators.
What is the aspect ratio of Reels on iOS and Android?
– On iOS devices, the upload aspect ratio is 9:16, and it is in .mp4 format. On Android devices, the screen aspect ratio depends on the user’s device.
Alternatives of Instagram Reel and TikTok
TikTok had become one of the largest video sharing platforms in the world. However, it is challenged by several countries like India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, and the USA, Hong Kong, where the app has been banned and thinking to ban, respectively.
Despite this, talent will prevail, and users will find another alternative to the music video apps like this.
Let us check out the best apps that are great alternatives to TikTok and available readily from the Android and iOS app stores.
Global Alternative Apps to TikTok
Indian Alternative Apps to TikTok
- Mitron TV
- Tik Kik
- Tna Tan
Our Thoughts On This!
Although many celebrated the ban on Chinese apps, some were purely distress, due to the removal of Tik-Tok from the play store. No matter how entertaining or cringe the content was, the fact is, everybody was enjoying it. May it be the creator, the viewer, or the roasters.
Nobody can deny that Tik-Tok became the bread-and-butter for most of the YouTubers. Harsh reality!!
But finally, Instagram has come up with some good news for all the viewers, Tik-Tokers, and YouTube roasters. It’s the INSTAGRAM REEL.
What do you think? Can Instagram Reel replace TikTok?
Drop your thoughts, and don’t forget to share this knowledge and support all talents out there.
Also, Check – Instagram for Business: All You Need To Know